Sunday Update and Sample: May 22

When my friend invited me down to his house yesterday for a night of Sherlock Holmes and pancakes, I pounced on the opportunity, a chance for me to get away from the internet and all other distractions that I have when I'm at home.

The night was very successful. It was no thousand words, but I got my story moving along nicely. In the 343 words I wrote last night I managed to finish a scene and a chapter, with a nice reveal along the way. I won't tell you what it because it's a nice treat.

I'd love to get back to writing a little bit every day. I miss that. What happens happens, but there are steps I could take to ensure I get what I want, if only for a little while. So I'll make that a short-term goal: to write something tonight.

The next sample starts where we left off last time. If I don't start writing more each week, I'll have to cancel the samples until I am, otherwise you'll have read the whole novel by the time I'm done.

______________________________

Faine said, “Then we need your help, for the good of the people. If this war breaks through, famine will run rampant. Emareus will be cut off from its surrounding villages, and supplies will be cut short. Like you said, who wants to live that kind of life?”

Fórdhain sighed. “What do you want?”

Faine grinned and nodded to Athrù, who said, “We must meet with the Queen as soon as possible to tell her of these dire circumstances.”

“I am the king of the Underground. I believe you've taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way if you're looking for an audience with the Queen.”

“Don't play games with me, Thief-King. You're close with the Queen and our matter is urgent.”

“What gave it away? The heavy robe or the golden rings?”

“Let’s just say I’m familiar with the factions of Meira.”

4 comments:

Terreur Nocturne said...

I'm jealous more of the Sherlock Holmes than the pancakes...

And I should start reading your samples again because you keep showing really good work! I must see more!

Ryan Sullivan said...

Aw, thank you!

Jean Davis said...

Try adding a contraction to the fourth and fifth paragraph. The dialogue seems too stiff without them.

Darn you robes and rings! You always give me away! :D

Ryan Sullivan said...

How about now?

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Welcome to The Dark Corner of the Mind. My name is Ryan Sullivan and my aim with this blog is to help others with their own writing, as well as to make note of some of my own writing endeavours.

Here at The Dark Corner, Real Life is both our best friend and our worst enemy. Look to him for inspiration, but don't let him get in the way too much.

If he does, bribe him with cookies.

Mailing list for new books by Ryan Sullivan


Click for Amazon page!

Three Bridges

Total Pageviews


Recent Comments