I need more carrots!


When I'm this close to the end, there's no reason I shouldn't be writing. Every hundred words is a weight off my shoulders.

So I bought chocolate. My favourite: Caramello Koalas. Yeah, two of them. And I'm going to eat them. Not yet, though. 100 words will earn me a Caramello. Yum! Actually, let's make that 150 words. I'm sure I can manage that.

If I follow that, it'll put me over 68,000 words in the first draft, and not much left at all until the end.

Although I'm having thoughts about an epilogue. I think it might be necessary for a proper denouement. Because there's a way I'd like to finish it, but that doesn't clearly tie up a lot of loose ends. What happens to them afterwards, like, just afterwards? Like, a week later?

There's an ending, and then there's a satisfying conclusion. I don't want just an ending. If I were to end it without that final part, I imagine I'd end up with something that feels like "he woke up and it was all a dream".

I don't think it'll be a long epilogue. Partly because I want to get it finished; partly because it won't need to be a long epilogue.

Also, just now I've been thinking about writing a short story before or while working on Maechre Aura, so I have something I can sell in between the two novels and keep that "push" going, if you know what I mean. I might discuss that in a couple of days.

For now, writing time. See you soon!
__________________________

Edit: I didn't end up writing just 300 words. I got a whopping 472 -- pretty good since I wasn't going to write at all. And best of all, I haven't even eaten either of my Caramello Koalas. I think I'll eat them now as a reward for my efforts. Yum!

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Welcome to The Dark Corner of the Mind. My name is Ryan Sullivan and my aim with this blog is to help others with their own writing, as well as to make note of some of my own writing endeavours.

Here at The Dark Corner, Real Life is both our best friend and our worst enemy. Look to him for inspiration, but don't let him get in the way too much.

If he does, bribe him with cookies.

Mailing list for new books by Ryan Sullivan


Click for Amazon page!

Three Bridges

Total Pageviews


Recent Comments